Explore the Essential Skills Assessment
The University of Kansas is committed to holistically evaluating applicants to our online MBA program. We focus on prospective students’ professional and academic experience, so no GMAT score is required for admission.
Instead, we ask applicants to take the Essential Skills Assessment. This exam tests your readiness for a graduate management education program. Delivered through a proctored digital environment, the exam requires no advanced studying and can be taken online from any computer when it’s convenient for you.
About the Assessment
The exam contains 10 verbal and 15 quantitative questions and will last 50 minutes. The assessment touches on descriptive statistics, ratios and proportions, basic algebra, applied problem solving, basic computation, and measurement conversion, in addition to reading comprehension and critical reasoning. Once you create a GMAC account, you can view “Assessment Sample Questions” for additional insight into the ESA. Speak with an admissions advisor for questions regarding the process or eligibility requirements.
The assessment is delivered online through ProctorU, a secure, proctored environment. You will be monitored throughout the test, and audio and video will be recorded. Immediately following the assessment, you will receive an unofficial score, and within seven business days, official scores will be sent to the KU School of Business.
Your total score can range from 0 to 15. An overall score of 8 or higher will be considered for admission. Test-takers who fall below that mark will be considered on a case-by-case basis, depending on their work experience and academic background.
Preparing for the Assessment
Your Essential Skills Assessment can only be taken twice and can be rescheduled up to 24 hours beforehand. To prepare for the exam, consider the following steps:
- Download ProctorU extension to Chrome or Firefox browser
- Familiarize yourself with the platform by using the interface tutorial
- Find a private space to take the exam (test-takers will not be allowed to leave the room)
- Log in 15 minutes before the session starts
- Have valid government ID ready
- Be sure to remove calculators, electronics, and writing tools from your testing area
- Select a web camera that can be rotated to show all four walls of the room
Requesting a Waiver or Accommodation
Prospective students can request a waiver for the Essential Skills Assessment. Please contact an Admissions Advisor to see if you qualify, but some potential considerations are:
- Academic records and professional work experience that demonstrate a high level of quantitative and analytical skill
- Four or more years of leadership experience in a professional, managerial role
- A J.D., M.D., or Ph.D. degree
Accommodations for a disability or medical concern can be requested but may take four weeks to be approved, depending on the documentation needed. Once you receive it, you will be able to schedule your assessment at your convenience.